Our Founder, Fr. Thomas A. Judge, C.M. was a Vincentian priest whose apostolic zeal led him to organize small groups of lay men and women to love and serve God in the ordinary circumstance of their lives. In 1909, a formal meeting of what was to become the Missionary Cenacle Apostolate took place in Brooklyn, N.Y. in St. John’s Parish.
From this lay organization came two new missionary religious congregations: the Missionary Servants of the Most Holy Trinity (priests and Brothers) and the Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity (Sisters). The Blessed Trinity Missionary Institute is vowed laity who have come forth to serve. These four branches are known as the Missionary Cenacle Family. The Missionary Cenacle Volunteers provides young Catholics with volunteer opportunities in the United States, Mexico and Costa Rica.
Our family history…
Missionary Servants of the Most Blessed Trinity -
Mother Boniface Keasey, a native of western Pennsylvania and a teacher, joined Fr. Judge’s missionary efforts in Alabama in 1916. By 1919,when the fledgling religious community of women was being formed, Fr. Judge named her the first General Custodian (MajorSuperior).Through her leadership, the work of the Sisters spread beyond the confines of Alabama. In 1978 the Sisters, at their General Chapter recognized Mother Boniface as the co-founder of their Congregation.
Missionary Cenacle Apostolate
Dr. Margaret Healy was an early associate of Father Judge. In 1928 he asked her to assume the role of General Custodian for the combined lay groups which became known as the Missionary Cenacle Apostolate. She held this office until 1964. Dr. Healy was instrumental in the formation of the Blessed Trinity Missionary Institute. She served as its first general custodian.